Wednesday, December 13, 2006

CHOMP!!!! Dogs 2 Steve 0

So I've been looking for ways to spice up my blog, and today I got one. Errr...Uhmm...Actually it got me. Remember back in January, I had a close call with a stray. That episode was no big deal since it was just a scratch, so I blew off going to the doctor. Today, I wasn't so lucky...

Sunny day, sweepin' the clouds away....

I was so psyched about the Sun finally coming out today after 8 straight days of clouds and fog. I made up my mind to hit Herestreau Park after work for 2 laps around the lake (7.5 miles). I had a nice first lap and started to pick it up for a faster second lap. As I passed a set of stairs where people access the path, I noticed a guy at the top of the steps start to come down. Just as I passed the stairs (I was really not even close to the guy), I noticed he had 2 dogs with him unleashed. Anyway, I really didn't even sense any trouble until I was well past the area and heard the barking - uh oh! I looked back and realized they were coming after me and then stopped (without facing them) and figured they would back off with nothing to chase. Wrong!

Steve: "You want a piece of me?" Dog: "Why yes, actually I do"

One of those mangy &$%*$#% mutts took a bite on the back of my leg! Boy was I mad. I got more angry when the dogs backed off and the guy kept walking down the path without even checking on me at all.

In pain and bleeding a little, I tried to assess my options:

1) Stop the run, go after the guy and give him a piece of my mind - I scratched this idea since a) I don't know any mean words in Romanian and b) the guy still has 2 dogs with him that obviously don't like me very much - next...

2) Stop the run, walk back to the car, and call the doctor. This seemed like the wisest move, but stopping the run had a real sissy/surrender sound to it. How would I explain this cowardly act on the blog? - next...

3) Stop the run and get first aid from one of the Romanian teenagers who witnessed the event and (unlike the guy with the dogs) actually showed some concern. This was even more sissy-ish than option 2 - next....

4) Walk a little, see if the bleeding stops, then continue the run (with a little bad attitude for motivation) and pound out those last 3 miles. Then, after calling the doctor, brag to my blogging audience what a real tough guy I am. - sweet!
(Below, the wound on Steve's powerful right leg....)

Well folks, when I got back to car after finishing the run, I got on the phone with Dr Thomas Kay. Thomas is a missionary serving here with his family at a low-cost clinic. As expected, since I have no idea about the condition of those dogs, I will be starting a rabies series (5 shots total) on Friday. Trying to look at the bright side (we all know what a pure optimist I am), I came up with a couple of good things about getting rabies shots in Romania:

1) After these shots, I think I can get bitten by as many dogs as I want for the next year or so! (Don't worry, I'll ask to make sure)
2) Rabies shots are much cheaper in Romania. Everyone knows I'm always on the lookout for a low cost option for anything!

3) I already have a unique topic for my next post!

Let me know if you think of any more good things about getting rabies shots in Romania...

And don't worry, I'll bring the camera. Stay tuned for Steve's rabies shot post this weekend....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh honey! I am so sorry. I wish I were there to help. I love you!

Anonymous said...

I guess I may have some psychic connection only I had the vision of the dog attack happening alot sooner! Hope you heal soon.
A little advice--maybe you should carry dog treats with you when you run. Or for that matter, when you go anywhere! I love you, Mom

"Smash" said...

UNBELIEVABLE!

You finished the run! Great job! Glad to see that you are OK and will not be foaming at the mouth while sitting in front of your computer...