Sunday, December 03, 2006

Steve’s Nile River “Sunrise Run”

OK, it’s official. I can now add another country (and continent) to my running archives! After some additional Internet research that showed it was possible to survive a run here, I got my courage up for a morning run on Saturday. The traffic does indeed lighten up overnight, so I headed out as soon as there was enough light to see the pavement. Most of these pictures will be a little on the fuzzy side due to the lack of light. All of these photos I took looking towards the Nile. My run took me by several important downtown Cairo buildings including the Foreign Ministry and the Arab League. Security guards (fully armed) man stations at nearly every city block and photos are obviously frowned upon. I did not take any chances here.

Not in "Kansas anymore"...
From the Hotel, I headed south along the Nile for about 23 minutes and then doubled back. This is unusual in that going south actually means you go upriver, as the Nile flows northward towards the delta on the Mediterranean Sea. (Note: this is not the only river that does this - but obviously the most famous one) With the dim light at the beginning, the green lights glowing from the Minarets of the many Cairo Mosques can be clearly seen. Fundamental Islam is on the rise here despite the moderate Government lead by Hosni Mubarak. Nearly all the Egyptian women you see on the streets have head coverings and the number of women fully covered with burkas is on the rise.

Party Time!

Other sights included the many Nile riverfront hotels and dinner cruise ships. A Marriott can be seen on the right (so-so quality) photo along with the Nile Maxim dinner cruise ship. These ships, along with the small saiboats called Feluccas are all over the place.

Nice Sidewalk!
The sidewalk along the Nile was in good shape and I actually did see 1 group of 3 joggers during the run. In fact, I was actually pretty comfortable and I got less stares from the Egyptians than from the Romanians during my typical runs in Bucharest. Note that this is the center of tourism in Cairo, so this area is kept clean. The side streets quickly reveal how filthy this city really is.

The light began to improve and I snapped a pic at my turnaround point on a bridge. On the left is Rhoda Island on the river and you can see the Cairo Tower straight away in the center of the photo. I snapped a much better picture of the Cairo Tower on the way back. It is the first picture in this post. We visited Cairo Tower on Wednesday. It is the largest 100% concrete structure (no steel reinforcements at all) in the world.

It was a good run and the weather was perfect with temps in the low 60's I think. Maybe its good that I only did one run. No point in getting used to that weather now that I'm back in Bucharest.

No comments: