Sunday, December 10, 2006

The beauty of low expections....

"Ain't no sunshine when she's gone, she's always gone too long, anytime she goes away...."

Boy is this the truth! The last dose of sunshine we received here in Bucharest was on Tuesday, the day Dana and Maria flew back to the states. To add to my misery, I caught a cold which I'm still feeling the effects of today. After Saturday though, I just couldn't handle another day sitting around inside. After church, I fueled up with some pasta and took a nap to prepare for the run today.

I really did not expect much from this run today. The fog and low 30's temperatures we've had since Tuesday was still here. In addition, we had a cold wind today that made it feel like the upper 20's. The leaves are gone and it really looks like winter out there now - just missing the ice & snow but it's coming. My only goal was to run 2-3 miles and call it quits. However, my outlook improved when I finally got all my stuff on and got out there. Titan Park had more people than I expected. Mostly it was the old folks strolling, a few young couples and a few mom's out with bundled up little ones. The teenagers and pre-teens were few and far between on a day like today and that was just fine with me. It was actually kind of peaceful and I hit a nice rhythm for 6.75 miles in about 1 hour. It felt even better since I expected a miserable outing.

Another post-run carb-loading edition

Although the run was good, the display I put on in the kitchen after the run was even more impressive. I whipped up a little Thai stir fry action. Check it out. What you see is some chicken, broccoli, orange bell pepper, Thai noodles in a sir fry sauce. Lots of carbs (I added more noodles), protein, veggies, and a boat load of salt from the sauce. Everything a tired runner needs. If Julia Childs was still with us, my phone would be ringing right now for sure, heh heh heh.

No comments: