Just so you all know, this is kind of anti-climatic. In these modern times, the whole rabies vaccination deal is really easy. In the old days, it would have been 20 or so shots to the stomach, which would have made a really interesting post with great photos. So, I apologize if you got really fired up for a cool post after Wednesday's "take a bite out of Steve" incident. Ok, here we go.
I guess if I'm going to blog about running in Bucharest, Romania with 100, 000 to who-knows-how-many stray dogs, the story would not be complete without a rabies shot series. So, this morning, 2 days removed from the biting incident, I headed to this clinic.

This isn't just any clinic. The name
"Uşa Deschisă" means "Open Door". The clinic is run by missionary
Dr's Milton and Linda Hanson. Unfortunately, they weren't around today for a photo op, but you can find out about their
ministry here. They have been serving the Lord here in Romania since 1994 when they gave up a successful medical practice in Minneapolis. They are so committed, they've actually become permanent residents of Romania. Milton is also a runner who has a few marathons to his credit. How cool is that? The Hanson's (as well as the Kay family) attend church with us at Calvary Chapel on Sundays.
Since neither the Hansons nor Thomas Kay was around, we had a guest shooter (or...maybe guest injector) for today. It was this pretty lady:

I couldn't spell her name, so she wrote me a note for the blog. It reads "Mean Nurse Oana". Ha Ha. Oana (think Joanna in Romanian) is about as mean as she looks. Of course, she was really nice. The shot was nothing - I barely felt it. I think on Monday when I get shot #2, she is going to show me how to do the rest (#3, #4, #5) on my own. Shot #4 will have to be done while I'm at home in South Carolina during Christmas week. I almost thought about having another blog contest, with the winner being able to
administer the shot, but most of you guys won't be around. No fun!
Anyway, Romania is not only a great place to get bitten by a dog, it is also a great place to get rabies shots. Each shot is only about $30 US here. It is ALOT more in the States.
The other good thing is that I'm set for a whole year, no matter how many times I get bit. Cool!
3 comments:
Steve you are too funny. How about the next picture be of you getting the shot? So when you get home, run by our house and I'll send Buster after you (he's so short he would probably only bite your shoe, ha ha!)! No no just kidding about Buster but do run by our house during a long run and we will fuel you up!
Allison
I'll give you the shot here! You know I've always wanted to use the epi-pen. This would be even better!
Watch out for helpmeet!!! I am sure she is more than willing to give the shot! HA HA
Take care man and have a good holidays!
Post a Comment