What was I thinking!
If you followed my recent blog contest, then you know I will running a half-marathon on March 25 in Vienna. What this means is that, in order to avoid embarrassing myself in front of a couple thousand Austrians, I actually have to train during the entire Romanian winter. Oh well, the plane tickets are purchased and I already told Maria she was running the 2km youth race. I guess I could back out and just watch Maria's race, but that would mean I would be the laughing stock of my massive 5 or so person blog audience - we can't have that.
Steve's training partner returns, better than ever (sort of)
The good news is that Steve does not have to train all winter alone. When we last saw Steve's training buddy, the fancy-schmancy GPS watch, he was critically ill. We saw him attached to live support (the charger) unable to function on his own. How sad. Well a new year has dawned and Steve and his fancy-schmancy watch are together again! What a sweet ending. Ok, that's not really true. What the watch manufacturer did was replace Steve's friend with a totally new watch. The old one was most likely destroyed or cannibalized for parts, but in the interest of telling a compelling and inspiring story - just work with me on this.
Week wrap up
So anyway, this week I slogged through the slush and mud and tallied 20 miles on 3 runs. Not bad for a travel week. The good news is that the temperatures are soaring right now and things are drying out. 50 degree temperatures are forecast for most of the next week. This could be one of the warmest January's in a long time, which is just fine with me!
Bring on the doggies!
Now, I'll put in the final chapter of the biting incident. I received rabies shot #4 in the US thanks to my lovely, awesome, but "not quite nurse material" Helpmeet. Actually, it really wasn't too bad, the needle just didn't quite go deep enough, so we think. The bump did go down after a couple of hours, no harm, no foul. For the final shot #5, I was back in Bucharest and Miheala Bucur (shot #3's injector) did the honors with daughter Alexa looking on intently of course.
Now that I'm Rabies-Proof for 2007 I have a new dog strategy. It has been said that the best defense is a good offense. So, if I start getting chased by anything smaller than say...for instance a pitbull, I'm going to stop, turn and fight to the death! I figure this is better than giving them something to chase. I tested my new strategy on Saturday with a really aggressive rodent-sized dog (think daschund, but skinnier and less ferocious - if that's possible). This little thing was walking with a really nice older lady. When I passed them, he growled and took off in pursuit. Instead of playing the victim, I immediately stopped, turned around and faced him in my most fearsome "tough guy" stance. The poor thing gave a yelp, turned and ran back between the poor old lady's legs. I had to repeat this 3 times because the little stinker got his courage back every time I turned back to run. Ha Ha! Victory is mine.

3 comments:
Yea for Stephen, the tough guy!!
There are other things to life than being married to a better "nurse"! I have many, many other diverse and wonderful talents. Ha ha
Seriously do you know what you are supposed to do when attacked by a big dog? If not you need to do some research. You are supposed to get into the fetal position and with your back up and your hands and arms covering your neck and head respectively! Look into before you get killed!
Post a Comment