Saturday, January 13, 2007

Long run Saturday

Another spectacular un-winterlike day in Bucharest for today's long run. Some of the Romanians are already worried about having a hot summer....sheeesh. I thought I was negative - Summer is 6 months away!

Carbohydrate Fornetti Loading
Anyway, Before running, I had to make a trip to Selgros (think Sam's Club, but European) to pick up some supplies for the return on the Helpmeet and Maria. Since I only ate cereal for breakfast, I needed to fuel up before the run. Selgros is a perfect place for this since they have a Fornetti stand inside the store.

I know I talked about Fornetti before, but they just rock so I'm mentioning them again. For about 40 cents, you get a 100 gram serving size. In the picture, you see a 100 gram serving of mere (apple). I also ordered some carnaţi (sausage), but...uh....they didn't survive the drive back to the apartment.
On the package, "poftă bună" is the Romanian version of "Bon Apetit". The advertising slogan translates "Obvious Quality" (top) and "Perfect Solution" (bottom) or something like that. Just trust me, they're yummy.
The run was nice. I headed over to Parcul National for a few laps around Stadiul National. Lots of pick up soccer and "soccer-tennis" games going on all over the area. I then headed over to the nicer section of Parcul Titan for the 2nd half of this 10 miler. The dredging appears to be done at the Lake, but its still a muddy mess in spots, so I stayed away from there. Having my GPS back, its not as boring to run in the smaller sections of the park because I can vary the paths I take and still know my distance (which of course, for this engineer, "este foarte important").
Plenty of old people and young couples with little ones strolling the park today. A big group of kids and parents were watching a "veverita roşu" (red squirrel) that was out and about. I have to get a picture of these squirrels. Anyhow, with another spectacular stir-fry concoction for my post run meal (I was busy chowing down before I thought of another picture), another productive Saturday of running in Romania is in the books.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

All this yummy cooking you're doing is giving me an idea! You should cook for me sometime. Wait, usually you just take us to another country for a "break", let's just keep doing THAT! I'm packing and almost ready to hit the road...I mean skies!

Anonymous said...

Hey, Thanks for the links to the store you went to! Cool to see that it looks similar to our Sam's Club here in the states. I look forward to hot summers myself. Yeh! Keep up the great running workouts.
Allison