Thursday, January 11, 2007

Steve gets a real life running partner...

My fancy schmancy GPS watch makes a nice running companion, but in reality every one of my training runs in the last year have been solo. However, yesterday I actually had a little company at Herestreau Park. John Lewis, a missionary who also attends our church, joined me for about 4 miles on a beautiful January day. It's hard to believe we are nearly in the middle of the winter here and temperatures have been around 50 F for several days now. I'm not complaining either, so keep on burning those fossil fuels, heh heh heh.

Steve's first guest runner!

John and I have been talking about getting together for a run for about 2 months or so, but our schedules and the weather have not been cooperating. Yesterday, it all came together. It was fun to run and chit chat. I did notice however, that the Romanian youth will laugh at you anyway, whether you are alone or not. Anyway, back to John. John has been here in Bucharest for almost 2 years with his wife, Sommer and two daughters, Sarah and younger Hannah. Here's a pic, shamelessly borrowed from John's website.
John is affiliated with the Assemblies of God in the U.S. He is working with the street kids of Romania (there are many here). Many of these kids are outside of the orphanage system, a system which isn't real good anyway, and are homeless. John has a really cool website will all sorts of information about what's going on in this important ministry area. Check it out here.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you guys finally were able to get together to run! Six more days and I'll be waiting for you at the "top of the stairs". Wink, wink, nudge, nudge!