With the shorter days of winter, it's now impossible to get my medium length (1 hr) weekday runs done before dark. Depending on the traffic, I usually get home with only 30-40 minutes of daylight left - and it's getting worse. So on Tuesday and Wednesday this past week, I drove directly from work to nearby Herestrau Park.The international hood
Herestrau is one of the largest parks in the city. If it's not the largest, it is most likely the most well known. The park is located to the north of the city center. Situated around the park are some of the most expensive neighborhoods of the city and where you will also find a large group of international residents. My current parking location is just a few hundred yards from the Chinese embassy. Other embassies are nearby, so it is not uncommon to hear other languages besides Romanian - something I'm not used to hearing in my regular running spot, Titan Park, which is nearly all Romanian.
Activities galore
I visited the park earlier this year with Dana and Maria when we visited the Romanian Peasant Village which adjoins the park, but this is the first time I've run here. The park has a large lake which has a path that follows the shoreline and that's where I planned to do my running. The path is not just for walking and running. It allows access to the many restaurants, boat rentals, and other businesses at the water's edge. You can see a couple of them in photo #2 on the right.
In addition to being a cultural center, the park is also a bit of a sports mecca also. The picture on the left below shows domes for indoor tennis, while on the right you will see the Diplomat Club, which in includes the city's only golf course and an olympic sized swimming pool. It has 9 holes and is one of the few courses in all of Romania. I think the sport will be slow to catch on though. At about $20-$25 for eighteen holes, the cost is about 1/3 of the average Romanian's weekly take home pay.
As for the running, I was quite pleased. The pavement of the path is good by Bucharest standards. The park itself is pretty scenic and surprisingly quiet despite the crowded streets nearby. The fair weather crowds are nearly gone now in late November, with only the dedicated young-couples-in-love remaining; and they are usually are too busy to notice me, ha ha ha.
The other big plus was the lack of dogs. I'm guessing this place gets more attention from the dogcatchers due to the important people living around it. There are a couple of nice bridges over the small bays around the lake. One lap around the lake is 3.75 miles. I did 2 laps on Tuesday and 1 lap on Wednesday (a much nicer day) with the camera.Of course, it wouldn't be a running post for Bucharest without the usual risk of serious injury. In order to get completely around the lake, you have to cross this really old railroad bridge. Ok, when I say really old, I was being generous. It's actually falling apart and they are building a new bridge next to it, but it isn't done:



The first thing I had to do was climb up this muddy embankment. Then I had to cross the old bridge, doing this little balance beam type running that they don't tell you about in the running books. Amazingly, before I crossed I saw an actual warning sign, which is an unusual sight at Romanian construction sites. Of course, as a true Bucharest resident, I promptly ignored it and crossed anyway. Don't worry, right before I ran across I performed a detailed structural analysis of the bridge. I stepped on the edge of the first plank and jumped up and down a few times. After that, I pronounced it "structurally sound".
Coming up...Steve runs Egypt!
No Way!.......Way, we are off to Cairo on Tuesday for 5 days. Stay tuned.

2 comments:
I'm glad you did well on the balance beam thing. Maybe you should also consider gymnastics as one of your sports. Have fun in Egypt and be safe.
Love you all,
"The Granny"
Good luck in Egypt and be careful running around you white American infidel!
Post a Comment