The History
I was trying to come up with a Spring 2007 running goal (race) the other day, but as usual, living in Romania has its limitations. The first problem is trying to find any races scheduled in advance in Romania. The second problem is then trying to figure out how to register - no simple online registration seems to be available here. How am I supposed to train for a race if don't know (1) exactly when it is (2) where it is (3) what distance it is? Especially for these small races here - I may not find out until just a few weeks in advance, if at all.
Then, a thought hit me. "Why do I have to run in Romania?" (Wow, Steve J thinking outside the box - watch out!) "Instead, why don't I pick a big race in a really cool foreign city that we haven't visited yet?" Needless to say, the Coolest Helpmeet Ever was totally on-board with this plan. Yep, convincing Dana to travel and see new places - real tough! It took a little bit of Internet research (of course, this is one thing I'm extremely good at) to find the right fit, but I found one.
The Contest
Since you can't have a really cool blog until you sponsor some kind of contest, here goes nothin'. The good thing about this contest is this: with my meager blog audience, you (that's right, you!) have a good shot at winning.
So, my challenge to you is guess (1) the city I will race in (2) the exact name of the race in its native language. The first one to post a comment with the answer will win...(drum roll)
I was trying to come up with a Spring 2007 running goal (race) the other day, but as usual, living in Romania has its limitations. The first problem is trying to find any races scheduled in advance in Romania. The second problem is then trying to figure out how to register - no simple online registration seems to be available here. How am I supposed to train for a race if don't know (1) exactly when it is (2) where it is (3) what distance it is? Especially for these small races here - I may not find out until just a few weeks in advance, if at all.
Then, a thought hit me. "Why do I have to run in Romania?" (Wow, Steve J thinking outside the box - watch out!) "Instead, why don't I pick a big race in a really cool foreign city that we haven't visited yet?" Needless to say, the Coolest Helpmeet Ever was totally on-board with this plan. Yep, convincing Dana to travel and see new places - real tough! It took a little bit of Internet research (of course, this is one thing I'm extremely good at) to find the right fit, but I found one.
The Contest
Since you can't have a really cool blog until you sponsor some kind of contest, here goes nothin'. The good thing about this contest is this: with my meager blog audience, you (that's right, you!) have a good shot at winning.
So, my challenge to you is guess (1) the city I will race in (2) the exact name of the race in its native language. The first one to post a comment with the answer will win...(drum roll)
The Prize
Take your pick of (1), (2), 0r (3).
(1) A 24 pack box of Jelly Belly Sports Beans! Yes, the same product used by Steve J to achieve his fantastic 1:47:00 half marathon debut. OK everyone say "OOOoooh...Ahhhhhhh." (You choose the flavor - Fruit Punch, Berry Blue, Orange or the as pictured Lemon-Lime)
(3) A Jelly Belly 50 flavor gift box! (The non-athletic version is perfect for those looking to score points with the spouse or suck up to the boss at the company Christmas party)The Rules
Place your guess by commenting to the blog. Starting today, you get 1 guess per post. If you are "blogger challenged" and are unable to leave a comment, email your guess to me at sjutton@yahoo.com. Make sure you name is in the comment, especially if you post as "anonymous" on blogger.
Place your guess by commenting to the blog. Starting today, you get 1 guess per post. If you are "blogger challenged" and are unable to leave a comment, email your guess to me at sjutton@yahoo.com. Make sure you name is in the comment, especially if you post as "anonymous" on blogger.
Note: You snooze you lose. You can only guess to the current post. You cannot go back and add a guess to an old post.
The first person to correctly guess the city and race wins!
Clue #1 (written clue) :
A Kenyan won this race in 2006 with a ridiculously fast time (go figure).
Let the guessing begin!
A Kenyan won this race in 2006 with a ridiculously fast time (go figure).
Let the guessing begin!
Clue #2 (picture clue) will be posted in 24-48 hrs.


10 comments:
Are we going to Russia? I've always wanted to go to Russia.
This is a really cool contest. Ok-ok, I think I may know this one. Yeap.
Is not in the Caribbean, although that will be a cool race to have and after the race a cruise trip would not hurt me at all -by the way; do they have any nice Marathon races in Puerto Rico?...the Mojave Desert is doing weird things to my head, I think there are high levels of radiation around here.
send me the $$$$
8th Maratona D'Europa or 8th La Maratona D'Europa
Trieste - Italy
2006 winner Chebet Ken 2:16:22
Thank you
Chuck Rivera
british 10K london run
London, England
Wait what distance is it?
oh well.
Nate
31st Edition of the Marathon De Paris on April 15th, 2007 in Paris, France.
Today's guess but it was won by
L’Éthiopien Gashaw Melese Marathon de Paris en 2h08'00.
Not sure what I want yet if this is it!
My guess would be Amsterdam in the ING Amsterdam Marathon Oct 21, 2007. The Kenyan that won the race this year,Solomon Bushendich, pretty much ran it in the same time you finished the half marathon, give or take 20 mins. His time was 2:08:52 Wish I had that kind of speed over the course of 26 miles!
Amsterdam...I LOVE Amsterdam! Change my vote to Amsterdam. :)
Ashley,
That was a horrible guess. Did you even read the post?
But don't worry, I won't tell anyone here that you work on airplanes.
CLUE #2 IS POSTED....NO MORE GUESSING ALLOWED ON THIS POST...
Post a Comment