Thursday, October 12, 2006

Changes in Steve's Romanian "hood"

This week so far has featured a couple of slow-n-easy runs in Parcul Titan to prepare for Sunday's half marathon. I did an easy 5K run on Monday and an easy 10K run yesterday (Oh my goodness, I think the evil metric system is taking root - make that a little over 3 miles Mon and 6 miles Wed; better?). While resting for my race this week, I figured it was time for a few photos.

Construction has been going on all over Bucharest since I arrived in January. It especially picked up after wintertime for obvious reasons and hasn't slowed down yet. Some of these changes are happening right outside our building.

Right outside our building, where my runs typically start and finish, they are adding these little white posts (above left). Further down the street, you can see the finished area (above right photo). These posts stop people from parking (and sometimes driving) on the sidewalks. A few weeks ago, you would have to walk/run in the road in this area because of the parked cars. Fortunately, they did create a parking lot nearby or this would have been a real nightmare as people scrambled for available parking space. Bucharest is far from being a run-friendly town, but these little changes are helping.
Lately, I haven't been running my 2 mile loop around Lacul Titan. I'm doing nearly all my running in a smaller corner of the park that was freshly paved in Spring. The above pics show why. I don't know what's going on, but they have the entire southern shore of Lacul Titan torn up. I think that boat thing is some kind of dredging machine. There are piles of sand all around the shore which I assume came from the bottom of the lake. I hoping they will have a nice paved and/or gravel walkway when they are done, but with winter approaching, it may be a while. I may do some trail running here soon on the dirt, but not this close to my race - I'd hate twist an ankle now!
As you can see, fall is in full swing in Parcul Titan. The colors are a bit dull due to the dry summer, but Maria and I found a pretty nice spot for a pic on Tuesday. We're pretty much hitting the high 60's for midday temperatures now which is perfect for running and walking around the park. You should these Romanians bundle up though - You would think was below freezing...I'll try to get some more fall pics soon...



No comments: