Well, as you can guess from the title, I ran over 5 miles in the rain in Bucharest yesterday. I thought I'd give some insight as to why I would do this.
First, for a normal person, this is a simple issue. A normal person looks outside and thinks this: "Look, it's rainy and cold outside. I think I'll stay inside and wait for a nicer day to run". Case closed.
Well as you know, I'm not a normal person. So I thought I'd do a very un-Freudian analysis of what goes through my head while I decide whether to run in the rain or not.
Thought 1: If I don't run today, I won't get to enter any miles in my running log (ego/geekness)
Thought 2: If I don't run today, I won't have any gps data to upload and analyze (geekness)
Thought 3: The rain will mean a lower concentration of people in the park, and thus less course adjustments (definitely geekness)
Thought 4: The rain will mean a lower concentration of people in the park, and thus less people staring and laughing at me (ego)
Thought 5: Running today is optimal after an good nights sleep and a rest day yesterday (geekness)
Thought 6: Cooler temperatures during the rain will help minimize my chances of overheating. (geekness)
Thought 7: I will be able to blog about my macho-man drive that motivates me to run in the rain (ego)
Thought 8: Annie is probably wrong. The Sun may not come out tomorrow. I might as well run in the rain today since tomorrow will probably be worse (pessimism)
Steve's even dumber reasoning for running in a thunderstorm.
Yes, it gets better. About 0.8 miles into my run yesterday, I heard the first clap of thunder. Of course, I continued my run. Here's my extended list of reasons for running in a thunderstorm.
Thought 9: Was that really thunder? Hmmm...I didn't see any lightning. It still must be pretty safe. (ignorance - meteorology would obviously not be a good career move for me)
Thought 10: If I quit now, my running log would look really pathetic with a 1.6 mile run in it (ego)
Thought 11: (2-3 miles in after numerous claps of thunder) Boy this is great, the park is really empty. This will really help me keep an even pace (geekness)
Conclusion:
This just goes to show you that just because someone has a blog, it doesn't mean that they're intelligent.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Way to go! I ran in the rain with a local running group in Februrary. However, I rarely run wet on my own. I remember the first day you ran with me a few years ago. I think it drizzled on us on the way back.
Its a strange thrill I guess. Run on!
Thought 12:
My wife and child are sick with fever and conjestion - I must escape the germs!!!!
All I want to know is were you singing the song, "Just Singing In The Rain" as you ran? And was it really a glorious feeling?
Granny
Post a Comment