Wednesday, April 05, 2006

"Ah, it's spring is it not?"

--Pepe Le Pew

The last 3 weeks has been a transforming time here in Bucharest. The weather 3 weeks ago was cold, dreary, windy - awful. Today was another gorgeous day of around 72 degrees. I left work too late today and was rewarded with a brutal commute and took the family out to eat instead of running. Dana had a burger, Maria had fried chicken, and I had a Mexican style pizza all at the same place. I guess we sufficiently covered the fast food department. I did get a good run in Parcul Titan yesterday, so that's what I'll blog about today.

"Alright darling. Enough is becoming enough. Let us proceed." -- Pepe Le Pew

Spring has come in so fast here its amazing. Every day it seems a different tree is blooming, budding or putting out leaves. I appreciate spring so much more here as opposed to SC, where the winters really aren't cold enough to bother you too much. Spring is no big deal there other than adding some flowers. I try to get some Spring pics of the Park soon.

After getting some advice from "coaches" Nathan and Ashley, I decided to put off the track work for at least another week or 2. So, I decided to do my typical route with 2 laps of Lacul Titan. Then, I actually remembered I had a gps watch (incidentally that I paid $100 bucks for) - I can run anywhere and still know the distance. So I headed out on a meandering run all over Parcul Titan. This run had it all - hills, trail, asphalt, cobblestones, concrete, grass - every surface was covered.

Parcul Titan is really a potpourri of activity now that the weather was improved. The sights of yesterdays run included kids playing, dogs being walked, people drinking and chatting at the restaurants, old men playing backgammon and chess, young adults in rowboats (with beverages - oh boy) and of course the young and in love.



"You know, eet ees not just a case of physical attraction. I admire her mind too."
--Pepe Le Pew



So, what exactly is the protocol for a runner who approaches a couple engaged in extra-curricular activity? I've been wondering about this a lot lately. The Romanians use 2 words for "excuse me". One of them, "Pardon" is borrowed from the French and seems more appropriate. What do you think?

I'll end with this last quote from my favorite cartoon skunk:

"One nice thing eez, the game of love eez never called on account of darkness." --Pepe Le Pew

2 comments:

"Smash" said...

Dude you need to say "Excuse me can you two by chance get a room and do you know about Jesus?" Start off with that and see what happens!

Anonymous said...

Ask the frisky couple if they are married.
Yeah, I kind of forgot you had a GPS watch too since all your runs have been the same route. Of course so are mine. Boring is good for running.

My bike routes are different every time though.