Thursday, April 20, 2006

Best laid plans....

Well, I had a simple plan for today's run. Like last week, I was going to run to the track near Stadiul National and do fast mile or so, and then run back for a cool down. Since I'm writing a blog entry on this otherwise uninteresting interval workout, you can probably guess that things did not go as planned.

After another horrid 1 hour commute home, I decided to get this last run in before we depart for Paris tomorrow. My first mistake was forgetting to let my GPS watch "acquire" satellites by leaving it on the balcony while I get my running stuff on (what I usually do). So, when I left the bloc I had to stand outside looking stupidly at my watch while I waited for the signal to max out. After several painful minutes waiting, I just started the timer and got going. I figured I'd just edit the route using my mapping software later (Geek alert!!! - sorry let's continue). I did make a mental note to get the next generation GPS watch for Christmas as my reward for surviving 1 year of running in Bucharest.

Hello? Hello? Anybody home? Huh? Think, McFly! Think!

Anyway, as I headed to Stadiul National I blissful ignored several signs that my speedwork at the track wasn't going to happen. The first sign was the unusual amount of policemen on the streets as I got closer to the Stadium. The second sign was nearly getting run over by a car full of flag waving Staua (soccer team - translates to "Stars") fans. The third sign was a big gate full of policemen blocking traffic on the road to the stadium - still I didn't get it, until...

I finally made it to the main street in front of Parcul National near the stadium entrance. The place was mobbed!! I finally remembered that Staua is using Stadiul National until their stadium is renovated and they are in the playoffs this year. I said to myself "Nice going Steve, but you'd think you would have put this together 1 mile ago"

Strike while the "pavement" is hot

Yeah I know. Normally the word "iron" is used, but obviously on this blog "normal" is not what you get! I did get one nice surprise at the end of this otherwise forgettable run. In order to get at least 3 miles in, I decided to head back to Parcul Titan for a quick loop of the Northern section. I entered the park in the northwest corner; it's an area that I had not run in since wintertime. I was surprised to see fresh pavement on the paths! Real smooth pavement too - not the communist kind! And it was fresh - really fresh - in fact, there was steam still coming from it. I actually ran by the paving crew and the warm "tacky" surface was sticking to my shoes. I wonder if they are going to to do all areas of the park like this - man, I hope so.

No comments: