Actually, those lyrics don't quite fit - it's the SUN that's gone! Although it has warmed up to the 40 F mark for highs, we have not seen sunlight since we were in Barcelona last Sunday. This is the kind of weather that would make my friend Dave Mercer (a running colleague and soon-to-be-relatively-famous old guy triathlete in Greenville, SC) homesick for his native Britain.
Somehow, I managed to get motivated to complete 2 runs this week. The first, and wetter of the two, was on Thursday. The only good thing about that run was that it ended. The dreary weather and the melting snow combined for pretty lousy conditions. I was unable to run very far into the park due to the massive puddles, so I circled the northern section of the park on the sidewalk instead.
As I noted on earlier posts, the pavement here is awful. If there was one thing the communists stunk at (actually they stunk at a lot of things) it's laying down asphalt. Some of the pavement on the sidewalks outside of the park is about as smooth as a low grade cobblestone street. My fellow runners know how much fun it is to run on cobblestones, so they should understand my description. My ankles must be getting strong though, since I haven't rolled one since mid January.
Slowly Drying out...
Today's run was definitely the better one. The park has slowly begun to dry out despite the lack of Sun, so I started my usual 2 mile lake loop. When I got to the south lake, I decided to detour around the 1/4 mile un-paved portion of the path and re-enter the park after. I figured it would be a quick 1/2 mile or so and then presto - back in the park. All I had to do was exit the park and loop around a couple of apartment blocs. HA! I had forgotten how tough it was to navigate these streets when you enter a new area. All these apartment blocks look the same! Soooo, about 2 miles later, I finally found my way back into the park.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment