Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Brussels Part Deux

After a long day of walking (and of course, eating) in Bruges, we got back to the apartment and I decided to do a second run Monday evening. I decided to try to get away from the urban jungle and ran southeast towards a big green spot on my map called Bois de la Cambre. After about 1.5 miles uphill, I finally reached one of the entrances. I forgot my camera on the way out, so you have to deal with a few stock internet pictures and my geeky GPS plots, courtesy of my "training partner".
Bois de la Cambre

This park is considered by some to be the nicest park in Brussels. According to Wikipedia: "The park layout was created in 1861 by Edouard Keilig, a German architect. Queen Marie-Henriette, wife of King Leopold II, often went horse-riding in the park." It is a huge park with many paths, athletic fields and a nice small scenic lake. There were all kinds of sports going on in the fields. I saw soccer (of course), cricket and others. At one point I even saw a few discs in the air, including some "flick" and "hammer" throws - the tell-tale signs of Ultimate Frisbee players. They were just fooling around though - if there was a game on, my run would have ended right there!
This was much nicer than my run yesterday since this park is big enough to minimize the noise of the nearby city traffic. There are lots of hills here though, so it was a good workout for the 3+ miles I spent inside the park. Now, my only challenge is not to be depressed when I return to Parcul Titan in Bucharest.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great run! You really do well reading those maps. From the map it looked longer than 1.5 miles. You go Steve!
see ya!
al