What scenery!
I set out going south and made my way out of the city. After the 1st mile, the apartment blocs got smaller and smaller. By the time I was in mile 2, they were gone. The blocs gave way to small, mostly decrepit houses - some with gardens. The smell of fresh horse dung was in the air, and I could see a massive petro-chemical plant on my right.
My first disappointment occurred when I reached the canal. The walkway on the north side of the canal has really been neglected in this area. Remember, we are in Bucharest, so when I say "neglected", I REALLY mean neglected. On this north side of the canal there were 2 lanes of traffic going east, so I headed west towards the traffic and tried to make the best of it. Broken pavement, trash and weeds were everywhere and I had to keep jumping off the walkway and into the road and then jump back up again. Traffic was flying past me as this little road basically becomes the Romanian autobahn once outside the city. My run in the country was anything but relaxing at this point. After a nerve-wracking mile of this, I began to look for a bridge so I could cross the canal and head against traffic on the way back.

The only good thing on this run was the lack of dogs. There were a few, but not as many as I expected. A group of 5 startled me at one point from across the road. I turned towards them and stopped, ready to do battle when they crossed the road (assuming all of them made it across). Just before they crossed however, I heard a whistle and they turned back. These strays were apparently semi-trained by a homeless person/dog herder, so that was a relief. I did see a few homeless people walking along the road with their belongings and several people fishing in the canal - and I have to assume they were fishing for food, not recreation (YUCK!).
I was quite relieved at mile 4 when I saw a lock ahead with a footbridge across the canal. The trash really builds up near the lock and the water smelled pretty ripe. I think it's quite safe to say that the canal which cuts through the center of Bucharest is one of the most polluted waterways in Europe and maybe the planet as well. I was happy to make my way across and start heading back - of course, things would get worse.
I never thought I would be so happy to see the apartment blocs come into view. I'm glad I didn't try this run when I first got here, or I would have went straight to the mall and bought a treadmill.
Week Wrap-Up
Well the "Carolina" winter has continued here in Bucharest and my running is going great overall. Temperatures were in the mid to upper 50's all week. After 2 miles today in what I now consider the spotlessly clean and perfect confines of Titan Park (ha ha ha) with Maria, I once again topped the 33 mile mark for the week. I started speedwork at Parcul National on Tuesday and cranked out 4 x 800 meter repeats at a speedy pace. I know I impressed the footballists (that's "soccer players" in Romanian) who were also doing some conditioning on the track. Wednesday was another nice run with John Lewis back at Herestreau park. John was coming off a 2-week layoff and had to work hard on this one. This was no problem as I able to handle most of the conversation griping about work the whole way. Thanks for listening John!

5 comments:
Steve,
I cannot believe the trash! I thought when people threw out old beds, washers, and other large appliances on Fowler was bad. The pictures you showed were unbelievable. Maybe they should go ahead and just turn that into The Romanian Landfill. Are the people trying to give the city a hint. I will begin praying for you and your safety more seriously.Great numbers for the week!
See ya
Al
Hey you big slacker! What are you doing over there. Working or something? Yeah right!
We live near the canal and it can turn so ugly SO FAST on the south end! It's always amazing to me how Romanian cities just END so abruptly, they don't tend to taper off.
You are creating an unfair image of Bucharest.I have to admit that bucharest is dirty in some areas, but not all over.There are many nice areas.The dirty areas are at the edge of the city.
Anonymous (6:43 PM).
Thankyou for your comment.
If you read my blog you will see that I take pictures of places where I run and I describe what I see with facts (and a few fun comments I'll admit). That is all - I have no agenda.
By the way, being on the edge of the city is no excuse for this. People live there too.
Post a Comment