Saturday, February 11, 2006

ICE ICE BABY TO GO...TO GO

Oh brother, now I'm quoting Vanilla Ice. I am one sick puppy (no Bucharest dog pun intended). How did this happen to me? I think it's because I heard Vanilla Ice on the way to work before Thursday's (2/9) run. The radio stations here play a lot of American 80's music, which takes me back to my teenage years. I also heard "Tainted Love" the same day. My 80's savvy audience should know who sang that - your trivia answer is at the end of this post.

ICE IS NICE!...NNNNICE! (an 80's movie quote)

Well, most of this week was cold, barely getting above freezing for my 2/9 run. I had to do it though, with the long awaited reunion with my family coming on Friday 2/10. It was only a month, but it stunk. I really feel for military families that have to go much longer.

Lacul Titan was nearly ice covered and many more kids were out there Thursday. A couple of more organized Romanian kids were busy smoothing a large rectangle for an upcoming game of pick-up hockey. As dangerous as this looks with portions of the lake still un-frozen, I found out that much of the lake is very shallow (1-2 feet) in many areas, which mitigates the risk somewhat. Of course, I still don't see Maria getting out there - that's for sure.

I was hoping to do another long run with at least 2 lake laps, but I was beat, the conditions were cloudy and dreary, and I had some emergency errands to run (I had dropped my coffee pot earlier in the week and needed a replacement - a tragic situation). So I just did 1 lap and finished the run at about 3.5 miles. The good thing about the ice and cold was that the unpaved portion of the lake trail was completely solid and easy to run on. Nice!

Steve

P.S. Tainted love was sung by a group called Soft Cell. Post a comment if you guess the movie quote.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ICE ICE BABY??? Seriously you must not be doing much work...

Anonymous said...

I'm not much for movie trivia.
I give. As far as music goes, I'm a 90's man! There's some good speed skating going on in the olympics. 4 American gold medalists are all racing against each other tonight (or today whenever its on TV).