Saturday, January 28, 2006

Todays Run, Score: Stray dogs-1, Steve-nil

WHO LET THE DOGS OUT....WOOF...WOOF...WOOF-WOOF

Actually, during the communist era here in Bucharest when there was no food, EVERYBODY let the dogs out. Hence, you now have a stray dog problem. It was worse years ago, until a certain Bucharest Mayor started to take care of business (Hasta La Vista Perros). Unfortunately, thanks in part to Bridget Bardeau's (and other Hollywood left wingnuts - and probably PETA too - those wackos are everywhere) protests, the task was not completed.
Which brings me to my run today....

BALMY WEATHER...

After and utterly frigid week, the temperature soared to nearly 30 F this afternoon with only a 10 mph wind (real feel up to 20). The sun was out, and I decided to avoid a shut-out this week and get out there. Running in the daylight is MUCH better here. The sidewalk pavement here is in terrible shape, making each jog the equivalent of a trail run (+ dog poopies) until you get to the parks where the pavement is better (still must watch for the poopies though).

A GOOD START...

For 1.6 miles, I easily negotiated the side streets to make my way back to Parcul National, keeping a pace in the lower 8's. This time, I made it all the way to the National Stadium. The stadium has fallen into disrepair and is currently being renovated, a huge task. However, the is a very wide access road which circles it and 1 lap around is 3/4 mile. In addition, while running around the stadium there are several athletic fields and what looks like a full size 400m track at one of the soccer fields. I will be moving to my long-term apartment Monday, and it will actually be less than 1 mile to the stadium which is really cool. I actually saw a couple of runners today in addition to kids playing soccer, and did not feel nearly as weird as I did the last time I was here.

IT'S A DOG-EAT-STEVE WORLD....

On the way back, I picked up the pace a bit until I squeezed onto a narrow sidewalk (it was narrow because people were parking on it!). Unfortunately, I unwittingly entered the territory of a stray. He backed off right away, and I figured he would keep his distance like the rest....WRONG! The little scum actually just waited for me to pass him and then lunged for my right leg. He got a good hold and clamped down, but didn't tear my tights. I turned and tried to kick him, but whiffed and he took off. When I got back, I noticed that I have a small bruise and a scratch right below the knee.

That concludes another adventure. Somehow, I am close to the 30 mile mark this month. Wish me luck as I get settled in the new apartment tomorrow on Monday and I hopefully can knock out a 4 miler before Feb 1.
Take care guys!
Steve J

No comments: